background

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Decoupaged Tile - A Tutorial - This is for You Amy!

A wickedly funny , immensely imaginative (how else could you make a belt out of medical supplies?),  yet self-proclaimed "anti-crafter" came to me with a challenge this afternoon; to take one of my most popular Wordy Bird Designs and shrink it down so that it could fit in her pocket, or rather into a 4X4 inch square so as not to add clutter to her mother-in-laws already highly decorated walls. I thought, "wouldn't it be cute to put the picture onto a tile for display?" and the answer of course was a resounding YES! So here, for all the world to see, is my FIRST EVER tutorial. ENJOY!

1) Supplies: Mod Podge,  foam paint brush, tile from the hardware store, Wordy Bird Design (or other photo you like, I suppose) - make sure the photo is printed on photo paper or it will run!
2) Cut photo to fit tile and make sure tile is clean. I cleaned my tile the high tech way, by wiping it on my pants. :~)
3) Pour a small amount of Mod Podge into a container. Do you like my "re-use" of baby food containers?
4) Apply a base coat of Mod Podge to the clean tile, allow to sit and get tacky for about 30 seconds. You will know it's tacky when it starts to wear socks with sandals.
5) Carefully place the photo onto the tile, weight it down with books (or something else) for the length of one The Band Perry song and one Mumford and Sons song.
6) Apply a thin topcoat of Mod Podge, making sure to get the edges.
7) Allow to dry for at least 20 minutes and then apply a top coat.
8) Proudly display (or gift) your new art! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...